Hi there! Could any one please tell me how to use apostrophe in words?

For example, what’s the difference between:
This is my parent’s room
and
This is my parents’ room

I always get confused while using apostrophes 😛
thank’s for your answers 🙂

This entry was posted in Apostrophes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Hi there! Could any one please tell me how to use apostrophe in words?

1. boonjammin says:

First of all. apostrophes usually only show possesion of something. just because something end with an "s" doesn’t mean that it has an apostrophe. for ex., books. they cannot be in possesion of an object, therefore, they do not contain an apostrophe. the only other time that a word contains an apostrophe that isn’t in possesive form is if the word is a contraction such as can’t, won’t or don’t.

secondly, whether the possesor of the object is plural or not can affect where you place the apostrophe. if the object is singular, the apostrophe goes before the "s", as in "John’s". But if the possessor is plural, then the apostrophe goes after the "s", like in this sentence: the dogs’ furs were each brown and black.

2. blaknasianmami<3 says:

Parent’ s room is singular possession (The room belongs to one parent)

Parents’ room is plural possession (The room belongs to both your mom and dad)

3. Cheer Coach says:

This depends on what type of an apostrophe you are using.
    When a letter or letters are missed out you would use what is known as a contraction apostrophe, eg. I’ve, (I have) didn’t (did not).
    When you are showing that it is a possession eg Ian’s shoe, this is my parent’s room.
    You usually only place an apostrophe after an s if the word end in s and you are showing that it belongs to someone. eg the shoe is Lewis’, Lewis’ shoe.
    If you would like any more help feel free to email me…

4. Nannajill says:

Parent’s room — a room used by a parent (singular) – like if you only had a mum or a dad

Parents’ room – a room used by both of your parents.

The first one is a bit odd since I would think you would say Mum’s Room, or Dad’s Room not the singular parent.

5. hushcolours says:

Hi,

A common mistake is using it’s instead of its.
    While it’s = it is, its indicates a what I think it’s a predicate ?
    I don’t know the name in english since I’m portuguese
    Example : I think it’s good; I like its colour.
    One more thing, when a word ends with "s", the apostrophe is placed at the end, as usual, but no "s" is added. Only the way the word is said, changes.
    For insteance : Charles’ car. In this case it’s read something like Charlesies car.
    Although you don’t ask it, I hope that you don’t make the common mistake of using then when you should use than.
    I wish you good luck with studies and would like to congratulate you for not being ashamed to ask what you don’t know.

Take care,

Joséhttp://theartinquirer.blogspot.com

6. i_hate_darch_daver says:

There are many rules involving apostrophes, I’ll try to explain them all:

1. Possessive – If the noun is singular (e.g. dad) then add <‘s> (e.g. dad’s room)
    2. Possessive – If the noun is plural (e.g. parents) then just add an apostrophe (e.g. my parents’ room)
    3. Possessive – This is a special case where a single apostrophe is used where <‘s> should be used, i.e. for a singular noun. This ONLY occurs when the last syllable of the word makes an <iz> or <is> sound (e.g. Moses becomes Moses’). Otherwise, for all other words ending in <s>, <‘s> is used (e.g. James’s)
    4. To denote missing letters – (e.g. I have –> I’ve; do not –> don’t)
    5. Finally, the its/it’s rule. Simply put, it’s = it is; its = belonging to it.

Hope this helps.